What’s Up With Book Club?

February 5, 2009

I have a book club.

I started it a little over a year ago, when I was new to Boston, and looking to meet people.

We meet once a month and have dinner/drinks, and talk about whatever book we’ve picked.

HOWEVER.

Except for me and my friend Mariette, people keep DROPPING OUT OF BOOK CLUB. Like, they’ll come for a couple of months, and then they just poof! disappear. Of course, these are all random people, like from craigslist and such, but they’re very nice when they get there.

And book club is really fun.

Maybe book club actually sucks, and I don’t know it? Kind of like when you’re in a bad relationship, and you can’t tell it’s bad, so you just keep going “la la la, I love my boyfriend” and everyone is rolling their eyes behind your back?

Also, today is the reason of MODELS DON’T EAT CHOCOLATE COOKIES by Erin Dionne!

Congratulations, Erin!

I can’t wait to read it — maybe I should pick it as my book club book, and then people will actually want to stick around…

Posted by Lauren @ 10:37 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

Comments

1. jo_no_anne says:

OR maybe you should re-name your book club FIGHT CLUB* (with an asterisk). Then when people show up looking confused, explain that the asterisk meant the fight would be about what you read in books. Ta-da!
    Also, I didn’t get to see Becky Gulsvig at the Legally Blonde show last night. It was her understudy, and when the lights dimmed, they also mentioned, like, 5 other understudies that were going on in place of the actors. Still a good show, though!

2. jo_no_anne says:

3. craftastrophe says:

Oh, no! I’m glad you liked the show, though.

I’m thinking about driving to Pennsylvania this summer so that I can see it one more time 🙂

4. craftastrophe says:

Oh, no! I’m glad you liked the show, though.

5. laurbethm says:

I moved to Boston this summer, and I have been looking for a good book club. Only problem is, I’ve seen far too many episodes of Unsolved Mysteries to respond to those ads on Craigslist!

6. laurbethm says:

7. craftastrophe says:

Ha! You can come to my book club..

We’re meeting in Burlington next month, though, not sure if that’s too far for you..

8. craftastrophe says:

Ha! You can come to my book club..

9. bostonerin says:

Thanks, Lauren!

If you pick MODELS, I’m not sure that people will stick around, but I bet they’ll bring cookies to the meeting!

10. bostonerin says: