Update

January 23, 2009

OMG, my poor blog! It has been neglected, just sitting here with NO NEW POSTS. How sad!

I really have no excuse, other than I have been busy writing books, and that nothing really interesting has been going on with me.

Seriously.

The most interesting thing in my life right now is that I’ve actually been using my treadmill, and not for clothes. For actual running! Well, run/walking. But a lot more running than you’d expect.

It helps that I tape everything to my DVR so that I always have something to watch while I’m working out. I also listen to a lot of podcasts — they have so many cool free ones on iTunes. I’ve listened to interviews with Ally Carter, Meg Cabot, editors from Harlequin, and countless others.

Here is what I have on my DVR:

THE CITY

I really like Whitney, although that Jay character is totally sketch. I’m a couple of episodes behind, though, so maybe he will turn it around? I’ll still be suspicious of him, though. And he’s not THAT cute, I don’t know why everyone’s all, “OMG, JAY, OMG!” That other guy (Alex?) is way cuter, and when Alex and Jay almost came to blows in the bar, you could tell Jay was totally scared.

BIGGEST LOSER

I heart this show. And it’s especially inspiring when the contestants are working out on my TV screen. Of course, they lose like twenty pounds in a week. And I don’t. But I also don’t have Jillian screaming at me, “Unless you faint, puke, or die, KEEP WALKING!!!”

REAL WORLD BROOKLYN

I always love Real World, and I was interested in this because it’s in Brooklyn, which I think is cool. I’m enjoying the show, although I’m wondering if there’s going to be enough drama? When they showed scenes for the season, it didn’t look like anything all that scandalous happened. But I still like it.

DIET TRIBE

This is one of those Lifetime shows that I kind of got sucked into. It’s about five friends who are all trying to lose thirty pounds in three months. They have a super hot trainer (who’s so not as smart as Bob and Jillian from BIGGEST LOSER), and a counselor to help them work through their food issues.

AMERICAN IDOL

I skipped AI last year, just because it was too much of a time commitment. But now that I have the DVR, I’m taping it. I’m bored of all the auditions already. I think there’s only one week left? It’s always more interesting when they get to Hollywood week.

In writing news…

DEVON DELANEY SHOULD TOTALLY KNOW BETTER is written, revised, and will hopefully be on its way to copyediting! Yay! I am so, so, SO excited about this book. Devon gets caught up in a semi-scandalous love triangle, that she accidentally turns into a love square.

HAILEY TWITCH IS NOT A SNITCH, the first book in my chapter book series, has been written and is waiting comments from my editor. They are talking to illustrators right now, and I CANNOT WAIT to see what the illustrations are going to look like!

ACES UP… AND OTHER PERKS OF A FAKE ID, my YA with Random House, is what I’m working on right now.

Questions for you:

1. What are you working on, and when will it be released or ready to query?

More later,
xx

Posted by Lauren @ 9:23 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

Comments

1. katywriter says:

What am I doing

Hey Lauren!

I’m glad to see that you found your way back online:) LJ has missed you.Okay corniness over now. Right now, I’m querying my novel, Stealing Cinderella and racking up rejection after rejection which is frustrating, but I know it’s necessary. I just hope that I get an agent in 2009 🙂 Every time I get a rejection I send out a few more and wait. I’ve also begun editing..again and am trying to cut down my novel, yuck. I hate this process. I was hoping that it was YA, but sadly it’s not, so I’m going to try and send it out as a romance this time. Its tried YA, literary fiction and now romance, hopefully this time I’ll get a yes and not just maybes. I also think that you may like Ghost Whisperer, have you ever seen it?

2. katywriter says:

What am I doing

Hey Lauren!

3. cyn2write says:

Wow, aren’t you crazy busy? The March 09 issue of Runners World has their shoe recommendations. I don’t know if it out on the newstands yet so send me a PM with your address and I will send you a copy. 🙂

4. cyn2write says:

5. kaitimae says:

Ooh, okay, I know the answer to the last one! It is really important to get running shoes that are the best fit for your foot- this means more than just shoe size. You should find a running store (idk what they have where you live, I would just search Google) and then go in and have them look at your feet. They might have you stand different ways, or even run on a treadmill to assess your stride. The salespeople at small running stores are trained to do this, which isn’t always the case at big outlets or anything. Then they will give you shoe recommendations. Yay! This way, you will get shoes that will be the most comfortable and supportive.

That said, my favorite brand is Asics. =)

6. kaitimae says:

That said, my favorite brand is Asics. =)

7. mandywriter says:

Re: What am I doing

Why not just choose agents who do both YA and romance? It wont matter what you label it if the agent does both (and plenty do). You can call it an upper YA with crossover, or a romance that will also appeal to the YA audience, and let them decide what to label it as once they’ve read it.

The label alone shouldn’t be holding you up, unless an agent doesn’t do romance and that’ swhat they see it as, or doesn’t do YA and theyt hink its YA.

8. mandywriter says:

Re: What am I doing

9. mandywriter says:

ooooh! now I will have to look at the podcasts you were talking about.

As for REAL WORLD, i TOTALLY agree. The “this season on the real world” sneak peaks looked completely vanilla. No in-house romancces (WHY THE HECK DID THEY BRING IN A BUNCH OF PEOPLE IN RELATIONSIHPS? Half the fun is seeing the train wrecks when two really hot people hook up and then also date other people and make each other jealous) and no real fights.

I mean, really, this time they bring in EIGHT people, and they cant even come up with anything good. Sigh.

10. mandywriter says:

ooooh! now I will have to look at the podcasts you were talking about.

11. mandywriter says:

OH yeah, and for what I’m working on:

1) Sent a sample to Alloy on Wednesday. Should hear something next week.

2) About 80% done with my outline and 100% done with my sample chapters for the proposal on book 2, which will be sent to my editor next week.

3) Agent received contracts form harlequin yesterday so hopefully I find out what I’m writing for them asap.

12. mandywriter says:

OH yeah, and for what I’m working on:

1) Sent a sample to Alloy on Wednesday. Should hear something next week.

13. pubd2b says:

1. What are you working on, and when will it be released or ready to query? Just finished subbing the next book in the Shannon Wallace series, and just got accepted for one short novella and one short story!

2. Are you watching any of the same shows as I am? What else should I be DVR’ing? I am watching AI and like you are totally bored with it. Move on. On another note, I have never downloaded a podcast to my IPOD and now you make me want to!

3. Do you have any good running shoe recommendations? I need new shoes, and I want to get good ones. I LOVE love love my Adidas Ozweego shoes. They feel SO Good.

14. pubd2b says:

15. boothyisawesome says:

Yay, you’re back- I miss your posts! They’re so funny. Good luck with all your projects. I can’t wait to read all of them, esp. the new YA! 🙂

1) I’m not an author (yet) and I’ve been too busy with work to do any new writing lately, so I can’t really answer this question.

2) My roommate and I have no cable, so no TV watching is happening. Maybe you’d like 30 Rock? or Pushing Daisies? (if it’s still on)

3) I don’t run, so no recommendations here, lol.

16. boothyisawesome says:

3) I don’t run, so no recommendations here, lol.

17. katywriter says:

Re: What am I doing

Thanks Mandy 🙂 This is what I finally came up with for the first sentence,hopefully it gets some hits. I’ve already gotten two more rejections, lol.

I am seeking representation for my upper YA romance novel, Stealing Cinderella complete at 100,000 words. It is geared toward an audience who may have enjoyed Jennifer Weiner or Meg Cabot.

18. katywriter says:

Re: What am I doing

19. sharigreen says:

Do you have “The Running Room” stores in the US? They might be just Canadian, I’m not sure. But if you do have them, go there! They are incredibly well-informed and helpful for picking the right shoes for you. Me, I’m an Asics girl. 😉

20. sharigreen says:

21. terriclark says:

Wow, you’re busy! Love the Hailey Twitch title. 🙂

22. terriclark says:

Wow, you’re busy! Love the Hailey Twitch title. 🙂

23. lizgallagher says:

Okay, I’m sure I have plenty of tv stuff to say (ahem, The Bachelor! Real Housewives, even if this season is lame! Top Chef!), but I also want to point you here:http://www.onlineshoes.tv/

I work at onlineshoes.com, and, boy, do we have running shoes. Even some videos about running shoes and how to pick them!

24. lizgallagher says:

25. amanda_marrone says:

Hey Lauren, Did you know Two Way Street made the 2009 Popular Paperback list??? Congrats!

Merry and I are watching Idol and I’ve got a new YA going to aquisitions next week. I’m also have three contracted books to finish this year.

Love Devon’s new cover!!!

26. amanda_marrone says:

Love Devon’s new cover!!!

27. Devon book lover says:

omg i wanted to get this book soooooo bad!!! i loved the first one ive read over 100 times! i was gonna get it today but my dad was to lazy to take go figure!
    i love ur books i cant wait to read!!!! i also looooove Fpur Truths and a Lie!! I never new wat she was gonna do next!
    i right books to if im any good tell mei write them at tikatok.com my username is cayceforever plz i wanna no if im as good as u r u rock!!!!!!! ur my fave author