Hello!

December 28, 2008

I am alive. I have just been very busy writing books.

Also, I got a treadmill.

Well, I ordered a treadmill. It is not here yet. It will be here by January 14th. Why does it take treadmills so long to ship, I wonder? Is it because they are so heavy?

Do you think I will use it? I hope so, since it cost a lot of money. Plus I want to run a 5k in the spring, and I am nowhere near ready, so hopefully this will help me.

Any tips on how to make sure I use my treadmill and not just as a clothes rack? I am already going to make sure I set it up near my TV. Any running tips would be appreciated as well, as I am so NOT a runner..

Or you could just tell me funny stories involving treadmills. Or running. Or how you don’t use your treadmill to run. That would be fine, too.

More later,
xx

Posted by Lauren @ 9:44 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

Comments

1. jessicaburkhart says:

Lauren! I missed you! OMG, you don’t even want to know how many times I’ve tripped off my treadmill. 🙂 But I love it.

2. jessicaburkhart says:

3. x_think_twice says:

If I had a treadmill, I would set it in front of my television and use it every day during my soap opera.

Do you already regularly run on a treadmill? Some people HATE it. I do my running outside and use the treadmills at the gym for walking.

4. x_think_twice says:

5. mandywriter says:

I heart treadmills. (Although a warning, if you are getting close to that 5K, some regular outdoor running is advised– 5K on a treadmill is WAY easier than in real life)….

I prefer music to TV when running. Also, reward systems are good (no more reading until I burn 300 cals!) etc.

Good luck!! You’ll be totally ripped in no time I’m sure.

6. mandywriter says:

Good luck!! You’ll be totally ripped in no time I’m sure.

7. lindajsingleton says:

I had my last treadmill for 10 years before it stopped working.

I recently got a new one and I’ve used it a few times already. Here are some things to help you stay motivated:

* Don’t force yourself into a long, fast workout. Even 15 minutes at a comfortable pace is better than 15 minutes in front of TV eating snacks.

* Make it a habit by picking a time a day that’s easy for you. Even if it’s only one day a week, do it for a few months, and it’s a habit that becomes hard to break.

* I watch TV or listen to a CD, either music or an audio book. Music helps you move. An audio book keeps you distracted so you aren’t thinking about how soon you get to quit.

* Don’t overdo because then you’ll dread coming back (instead of a “treadmill” it’ll be a “dreadmill”

* Don’t compare your pace to anyone else. When I went to a gym, people next to me were going like 5-7 mile pace while I stuck around 3 mile pace. Do what works for you.

* Make it fun. Dance and sing or get lost in a good story. Audio books are so great. I get them from the library all the time and the really good ones I buy to keep and listen to again.

8. lindajsingleton says:

I had my last treadmill for 10 years before it stopped working.

9. lindsey_leavitt says:

hey, there’s a website called something like the couch potato work out? I’ll see if I can find the link, but basically it provides a running schedule to get you built up to the 5k. And with it being a treadmill, you can just up the incline if you need more of a challenge.
    Yay on your purchase! I’m feeling very sedate on the moment.

10. lindsey_leavitt says:

Yay on your purchase! I’m feeling very sedate on the moment.

11. pubd2b says:

Good to see you back 🙂 and can’t wait to see what writing you have done!

Ah the good old treadmill, eh? Well, let me tell you, they are sneaky animals. They arrive in your house and snoop around under your bed, in your closet, and finally park themselves in a place where you THINK you will be most likely to use them.

In approximately four months, they are like a bad puppy. You delegate them to the garage, or the back patio. Or if you are kind to your bad puppies, to the bedroom that no one uses, and you toss stuff in and shut the door real quick.

At that stage in a treadmill’s life, they are facing certain hospitalization aka garage sale. This is when I meet them usually. I have taken several in at the hospitalization stage. One bit my hand when I tried to feed it with a tennis shoe. One threw me off when I attempted to get astride it.

I am probably the only treadmill whisperer you have ever met, huh?

12. pubd2b says:

Good to see you back 🙂 and can’t wait to see what writing you have done!

I am probably the only treadmill whisperer you have ever met, huh?

13. dinner_girl says:

My mom used to have a treadmill when my sister and I were kids. We would play grocery store on it. We’d grab some cracker boxes and lettuce and send them down the belt, on the lowest setting. Then once we left an egg on it and my mom stepped on it.

Oh, heavens!

14. dinner_girl says:

Oh, heavens!

15. justcaren says:

I bought one after I sold my first book. I prefer it to having to go all the way to the gym. Now I can just get up and stretch, then get on in the morning and shower in the comfort of my own home. I run on it 30 minutes a day. It’s the only exercise I can do without being too distracted. If I’m off the treadmill, I will think of a million other things to do instead.

Suggestion: iPod. It’s hard to hear the tv unless you have headphones connected to the tv. Besides, you can’t always find what you want on TV. I always listen to my ipod on the treadmill.

I also have a mini DVD player set up in front of it but I rarely use it.

16. justcaren says:

I also have a mini DVD player set up in front of it but I rarely use it.

17. craftastrophe says:

OMG, I’m so afraid of tripping on it! I always slow it way, way down before getting off at the gym.

On THE BIGGEST LOSER they run super fast and then jump onto the rails, and it’s SO SCARY!

I’m glad you use yours, though..That gives me hope.

18. craftastrophe says:

I’m glad you use yours, though..That gives me hope.

19. craftastrophe says:

I do use a treadmill at the gym, and I like it. But we’ll see how I feel when I have one in my apt 🙂

20. craftastrophe says:

21. craftastrophe says:

I’ve heard that, that running on the treadmill is way easier. Luckily I’m nowhere near even being able to do a 5K on the treadmill, so hopefully when I get to that point, the weather will be nicer so I can practice outside…

22. craftastrophe says:

23. craftastrophe says:

Thank you for the tips! Especially the one about not comparing your pace, I am sooo slow..

24. craftastrophe says:

25. craftastrophe says:

I googled it, thanks for that! I’m def going to use that program. And I def don’t need to worry about upping the incline for more of a challenge 🙂

26. craftastrophe says:

27. craftastrophe says:

HAHAHAHAHA!

28. craftastrophe says:

HAHAHAHAHA!

29. craftastrophe says:

HAHA! OMG, this made me laugh out loud 🙂

30. craftastrophe says:

HAHA! OMG, this made me laugh out loud 🙂

31. craftastrophe says:

Thanks! I will def load up the iPod.

I’m glad that you use yours everyday — I just don’t want it to end up sitting in the corner doing nothing, you know?

32. craftastrophe says:

Thanks! I will def load up the iPod.

33. Anonymous says:

Q’s?? 🙂

Hey, Lauren, I have a question. Um, I was just rereading “Four Truths and a Lie” (BTW, good book), and I came up to the part when Scarlett cuts Rachel’s hair and she says (not out loud) that the only time she cut hair was when Brianna needed to cut her bangs and she cut her cousin Ashley’s hair up to her ears. And then remember the part when James comes to visit Scarlett and Miss Cardanelli says that James “her cousin” came to see her? And Scarlett said she didn’t have any cousins? So is Ashley, like, a distant relation or something? Like a second cousin? Yeah, I was just wondering… 🙂

34. Anonymous says: